Our History

 

From the humble beginning as a Bible study at 172 East Main Street in 1947, to the weekly meetings at the Odd Fellows Hall on West Main Street, First Baptist Church was established in January 1949. As the second Southern Baptist Church in Cecil County, our Charter under Maryland Law was issued November 22, 1950.

A building fund was established in 1955 which led to the purchase of the former 158 West Main Street facility, and the erection of our present home here at 607 Delaware Avenue. Ground breaking for the Sanctuary was held July 12, 1959 with the first service held here on March 20, 1960. Growth of our church family led to the erection of the educational wing in October 1962, and later on, to the addition of the new educational and fellowship wing in July 1977. Today, First Baptist Church continues in our ministry to Elkton, carrying out the Great Commission of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.